Welcome to the Kodokan Martial Arts Web Site.
Kodokan Martial Arts is a very traditional school consisting of Karate (art of the empty hand) and Matayoshi Kobudo (Okinawan weapons).
The traditional martial art styles taught are:
- Anshin Ryu (incorporating Little Dragons Classes) – from 5 years to adult.
- Matayoshi Kobudo Kodokan International – from 14 years to adult.
|Anshin Ryu Karate||Matayoshi Kobudo Kodokan International -UK Branch|
Who we are:
- Kodokan Martial Arts is not a Business, and therefore we are a Non-Pofit Making School. None of our instructors get paid!
- We have students from 5 years to over 70 years of age.
- Highly Qualified Instructors in both Karate and Matayoshi Kobudo with over 32 years individual experience in the Martial Arts. Collectively well over 100 years.
- Kodokan Martial Arts was established in Darlington in early 1992.
- Instructors have Coaching Qualifications in Martial Arts, First Aid certification and DBS (previously known as CRB) checked.
- We teach not only the technical side of Martial Arts, but also the Philosophy also to provide our students an overall education of Karate and Kobudo.
- We are steeped in Reigi (Etiquette) as taught in Japanese Karate and Kobudo.
- We teach the art as Budo which can be used effectively in real combat and not just Sport Karate or Sport Kobudo. Within each style we train in large amounts of Drills, Partner Work and Bunkai. This provides self defense skills and mind set that can be an advantage in today’s society.
- Have a Friendly Atmosphere and Welcoming to all students.
- First 2 lessons Free to try our schools, i.e. 2 in Karate and 2 in Kobudo.
- Read our Reviews from some of our Members – Click on Link.
- Class Times and Locations – Click on Link.
More Information can be found below and within our website, or you can contact us at:
Sensei Fred Bateman
Kodokan Martial Arts Darlington
Tel: 0780 782 7978
More About Kodokan Martial Arts
Within our Organisation a new student can choose to have lessons in just one of the martial arts, such as in Karate, or Kobudo, or have lessons in both Karate and Kobudo depending upon their preference, and time they wish to put in training. Furthermore, Kodokan Martial Arts has taught students that have been novices to black belts from other schools that wanted to learn more than just a martial sport. All the schools are based around traditional Japanese values, and therefore steeped in both etiquette and philosophy.
The Anshin Ryu Karate School is associated to United Kingdom Martial Arts Federation (UKMAF) and is associated the Karate Governing Body.
The Matayoshi Kobudo school is Associated to the Matayoshi Kobudo Kodokan International, via MKKI and Franco Sanguinetti Sensei 8th Dan Black Belt. There are twelve traditional weapons in the system for the student to study. These include: Bo, Sai, Tunkua, Nunchaku, Nunti, Ueku, Kama, Surichin, Kuwa, Tinbe, Manji Sai, and Sunsetsu Kon
In addition members can have lessons in Hanbo (walking stick) and Iaido (sword drawing) if they wish. These classes are held once a month, and are open to all Kodokan Martial Arts members as part of their membership at no extra cost.
Learn More Than Just the Physical Side of Martial Arts.
As well as the practical aspect of the martial art being taught, the student learns the theory behind the arts, thus expanding their mind through martial knowledge. The student over time will get a complete balance of theory and practice. They will also have a good understanding of Japanese etiquette (Reigi) in martial arts, which we think is important for their training.
More about our Instructors
Our instructors are Nationally and Internationally recognised, have coaching qualifications and have been CRB checked. They have won national trophies, and also our Chief Instructor has studied Karate and Kobudo in Okinawa Japan. They have also been qualified Karate Governing Body Kumite and Kata Referees. Our instructors are still being taught by many eminent Sensei’s (higher grade instructors) above them, thereby providing continuity and a continuous high level of knowledge. So this vast experience and knowledge is then passed down through the grades to their students.
Find Out More About Us
Within the following pages of our website you will find further information relating to the different schools of Karate and Kobudo, such as details of where and when lessons are held, and about the school’s instructors. Events that occur over the following year, such as Seminars and Grading Days. There are also links to various web pages that you may find interesting and useful.
So please find out more about us and how to become a member of our Traditional Martial Art Schools of Karate and Kobudo!